● Are you often anxious, worried and stressed to a point where it feels it is interfering with your enjoyment of life?
● Do you often feel overloaded and overwhelmed?
● Do you get ‘stressed out’ and worried when you need to make decisions, act with confidence and assert yourself?
● Would you like to be more resilient and less ‘thrown’ and blown about by challenging life events?
The Alexander Technique offers an effective and accessible mind/body approach to dealing with stress. I can help you understand how your unconscious responses to events triggers stress responses in your body, and teach you practical ways to quieten your nervous system down and to feel more centred, calm and relaxed in your life.
How does it work?
It’s normal to feel stressed about challenging events! But often when we have been highly stressed for a long time we are caught in circular patterns of over-stimulation which can be hard to get our of on our own.
As a skilled Alexander teacher I use hands-on contact and simple verbal instructions to help you become mindful of how you respond to stress triggers both in the outside world and in yourself. I use gentle hands-on contact to help your nervous system to quieten down, and from there help you to become mindful of what you are doing that keeps you in the cycle of stress — and encourage you to let go and make choices that lead to peace rather than to worry and overload!
Grounding and Breathing
It’s becoming more and more well know that breathing and our connection with the ground are key to our ability to cope with stress. The Alexander Technique can help you to become more grounded so you can relax into support and let go of the unnecessary muscular tension and holding that is part of the pattern of chronic stress.
The Technique can also help you to discover how stress causes you to interfere with your body’s natural breathing patterns, and encourages you to allow these patterns to reestablish themselves.
Emotion and Trauma
Sometimes past trauma stored in the body is a contributing factor to present day stress. Where this is the case I am trained to facilitate trauma release and integration, and can offer a safe, open and non-judgmental space in which feelings from the past can come up and be resolved if necessary.
Is Alexander Technique Right for you?
The Alexander Technique is not a quick fix and , though having lessons also has therapeutic benefits, it is not a 'treatment'. It is something you experience, learn and apply for yourself. You can take what you have learned away with you and it can help you to take care of yourself for the rest of your life.
The Technique is likely to be a good fit for you if:
● You are ready to take responsibility for your own wellbeing and destiny, and to make positive changes in your life in order to grow and change.
● You like to learn new things and are willing to grow and enjoy the journey
● You are willing to commit a little time each day to work with what we do in the lessons.
Why Learn with me?
● I have been a qualified Alexander Technique teacher for over 15 years, since completing a three year, 1600 hour STAT (Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique) approved course in 2001.
● My approach combines practical experience with cutting edge insights from neuroscience and other bodywork modalities.
● I am continually studying, learning and engaging with other disciplines to deepen my teaching practice and broaden what I can offer my students.
I offer a half price (£20) introductory lesson so you can experience the Technique in action and get a sense as to whether or not it is a good fit for you. To arrange this, or to answer any questions, please contact me.